Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe that has been handed down through many generations in my family. I have had people who hate cucumbers tell me that this salad is excellent.
- 4 peeled sliced thinly cucumbers
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, more to taste
- Salt the cucumbers and onions throughout and place in large bowl; place a plate that will fit inside the bowl on top of them.
- Let stand in refrigerator for 2 or more hours.
- When the time is up, drain the water from the cucumbers and onions; add the sour cream, half and half, vinegar and a tablespoon more of salt, if desired. If you do not like it to be too soupy, you can decrease the amounts of the half and half and sour cream by half or more, depending on your taste.
- Mix thoroughly; place in refrigerator for another half hour to a hour to chill the ingredients and serve.
- Makes about 10 servings.
So easy to make, and delicious! We use the extra sauce on baked potatoes too.
Very easy to make, but I wasn't expecting the sauce to be so soupy. Did I misread the directions? Regardless, it added a nice flavor to the cucumbers and it was a nice addition to our traditional German Christmas meal.
They were delicious and easy to make. I added black pepper. My family loved them!