Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very rich chicken flavour.
- 1 quart beef stock or 1 quart bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice or 2 tablespoons barley
- 3 -4 lbs chicken, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- Combine stock or bouillon and water in large kettle; add sugar and rice or barley.
- Rinse chicken; drain; pat dry.
- Rub lightly with salt.
- Place chicken in bouillon kettle.
- Cover; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly until chicken is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken.
- Strain broth through colander, mashing rice or barley through with liquid.
- Melt butter or chicken fat in soup kettle; blend flour smoothly with it.
- Stir strained soup into fat and flour mixture.
- Let cook 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1 cup cream; stir and bring to a gentle boil, but do not let boil.
- Beat yolks with remaining 1/4 cup cream and stir into soup.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
- In each soup plate put a few even strips of breast of the boiled chicken.
- Pour hot soup over.
- Soup should be creamy, pale yellow, but not too thick.
- Serves 6.
- Luchows German Cookbook.