Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a nice german coffee bread, with a lovely cinnamon streusel topping
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- In mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and salt and about half the flour.
- Beat thoroughly 2 minutes.
- Add egg and shortening. Beat in rest of flour gradually until smooth.
- Drop small spoonfuls over entire bottom of 9 inch greased pan.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile Combine the streusel ingredients and sprinkle over the bread before cooking.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and bake 30-35 minutes.
- Immediately turn out of pan to avoid sticking. Serve warm.