Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
This recipe comes from the TOH "Best of Country Cookies". Makes a large batch great for bake sales and get-togethers.
- 236.59 ml butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 236.59 ml shortening
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 113.39 g package German sweet chocolate, melted
- 4 eggs
- 9.85 ml water
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 1537.83 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml salt
- 354.88 ml English toffee bits or 354.88 ml almond brickle chips
- 354.88 ml walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars.
- Beat in chocolate.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in water and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in toffee bits and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Just making it into the TOH cookie book says something about this recipe and this one was a catagory runner-up to the winner. I personally prefer a crisper cookie on the chewy side but these were pretty good. They taste even better the next day. I will be making these again. Mahalo for sharing : )
Wonderful cookies! I'm never disappointed when it comes to TOH! I made these for my husband to take to a luncheon at work and they were gone quickly! A nice soft cookie with a little crunch surprise in the toffee bits, and the after taste reminds you of a piece of German chocolate cake! What's not to love? :) Thank you for sharing this!