Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
This recipe comes from the TOH "Best of Country Cookies". Makes a large batch great for bake sales and get-togethers.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (4 ounce) package German sweet chocolate, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups English toffee bits or 1 1⁄2 cups almond brickle chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars.
- Beat in chocolate.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in water and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in toffee bits and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nice consistency and pleasant taste. But these didn't knock my socks off... seems like they needed more chocolate... maybe even toss in some chocolate chips. I left out the nuts because I don't like them in my cookies.
Just making it into the TOH cookie book says something about this recipe and this one was a catagory runner-up to the winner. I personally prefer a crisper cookie on the chewy side but these were pretty good. They taste even better the next day. I will be making these again. Mahalo for sharing : )
Wonderful cookies! I'm never disappointed when it comes to TOH! I made these for my husband to take to a luncheon at work and they were gone quickly! A nice soft cookie with a little crunch surprise in the toffee bits, and the after taste reminds you of a piece of German chocolate cake! What's not to love? :) Thank you for sharing this!