A chocolate version of upside down cake.
Make and share this German Chocolate Surprise Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 ounces sweet baking chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F In an ungreased 9-inch cake pan, mix the topping ingredients. Spread evenly in the pan.
- In small, microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate and 1/4 cup water on High 1-1.5 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Stir to blend.
- In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs until well blended.
- On low speed, beat in 3/4 cup of the flour and the milk. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour; beat well.
- Stir in chocolate mixture until blended. Pour batter over the topping in the pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen. Place serving plate upside down over cake in pan. Turn the plate and pan over. Remove pan. Serve warm or cool.
A definitely good surprise. Not your traditional german chocolate cake, but VERY tasty.
This was a good, thick cake. I iced it instead of using the nuts, etc. and marbled it by adding the chocolate to only half a recipe. The sister that I made it for loved it :0) For ZWT6 N.
This was easy and quick to make. A very rich cake. Family loved. Made for ZWT6- German Forum Challenge: Chocolate Challenge!! The No-Nonsense Nibblers