Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 package german chocolate cake mix with pudding
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Press into bottom of a greased 13x9 inch pan, set aside.
- Beat cream cheese and 2 eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended.
- Spread evenly over chocolate batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack, and cut into squares.
I've tried this twice now and love it. It's light and chewy, and the cream cheese is like a very light frosting on the cookie. I really like to bake from "scratch", but this is one that tastes like you did, without a lot of fuss. This will go into my favorite bar cookies file!
My mother has been making this for over 20 years and it is among our favorite desserts. After cooling to room temperature, we generally place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours so that it is easy to cut. Thanks for sharing a classic that everyone loves.
My husand says this might be the best desert he's ever tasted. Very rich and so quick to make.