People who compliment me on this chocolaty treat are surprised to learn its a sauerkraut cake, reports P.K. of Greentown, Pennsylvania.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup coconut, flaked
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- 2Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Beat in vanilla.
- 4Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water.
- 5Fold in sauerkraut, coconut and pecans.
- 6Pour into three greased and floured 9-in.
- 7round baki ng pans.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 9Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- 10In a bowl, combine melted chocolate and mayonnaise. Set aside 1-1/4 cups for frosting.
- 11To the remaining chocolate mixture, add half of the coconut and pecans; spread between cake layers.
- 12Spread reserved chocolate mixture over top and sides of cake. Combine remaining coconut and pecans; press onto sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
- 13Slice with a serrated knife. Yield: 12-14 servings.
- 14*Editors Note: Light or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise. Taste of Home Magazine
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.3
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 77.0 mg
- Sodium 401.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 43.1 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: