- 1⁄2 cup butter (do not substitute margarine)
- 1 (4 ounce) package sweet baking chocolate (like German's Sweet Chocolate. Do NOT use semisweet or unsweetened chocolate)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, salt, and milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve warm over ice cream or pound cake.
- Note: This sauce can be reheated in the microwave oven on Medium (50% power). The amount of time will vary with the amount of sauce being reheated.