1/1 Photo of German Chocolate Pound Cake
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Susie in Texas's Note:
A sweet, moist, delicious winner for you chocolate lovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan.
- 3Cream shortening at medium speed of mixer.
- 4Gradually add sugar until well mixed.
- 5Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- 6Blend in vanilla extract.
- 7Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- 8Add alternately with buttermilk to the creamed mixture.
- 9Continue mixing well.
- 10Mix in the melted chocolate last.
- 11Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 90 minutes or until cake tests done.
- 12Cool cake in pan on rack for about ten minutes, then turn out and let cake cool completely.
- 13You may sprinkle with confectioners sugar or top with chocolate glaze.
- 14For glaze, microwave chocolate and butter together, in a medium sized bowl, until melted.
- 15Mix in confectioners sugar and just enough water to make a smooth glaze.
- 16Pour glaze over cake and let trickle down the sides.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Chocolate Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.7
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.3 mg
- Sodium 231.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 33.3 g
- Protein 5.9 g