Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A sweet, moist, delicious winner for you chocolate lovers!
Make and share this German Chocolate Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan.
- Cream shortening at medium speed of mixer.
- Gradually add sugar until well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Blend in vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add alternately with buttermilk to the creamed mixture.
- Continue mixing well.
- Mix in the melted chocolate last.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 90 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool cake in pan on rack for about ten minutes, then turn out and let cake cool completely.
- You may sprinkle with confectioners sugar or top with chocolate glaze.
- For glaze, microwave chocolate and butter together, in a medium sized bowl, until melted.
- Mix in confectioners sugar and just enough water to make a smooth glaze.
- Pour glaze over cake and let trickle down the sides.
Susie, this recipe is wonderful. I made it with Bakers Sweet German Chocolate so I reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 cups. I would give it 10 stars if I could. I frosted it with the regular German Chocolate frosting....the one with coconut and pecans. It is a winner. I'll never make German Chocolate Cake the other way again. This recipe is much easier and I like that I can bake it in a bundt pan. Decadence is an understatement!
Great recipe!Didn't change a thing and of course used the glaze. Chocolate on Chocolate-Heaven!A Huge Thank You--PeggyLynn