Recipe by Sumayah #2
This recipe was submitted to me through my website, ChocoJunkie.com. I found it to be devine. It takes a bit of work.
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1 (4 ounce) package German chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- coconut pecan frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line the bottom of two round cake pans with wax paper.
- Melt the chocolate squares until they are completely melted. Stir well.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat margarine (butter) and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in another large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Immediately run spatula between the cake and sides of the pan.
- Cool 15 minutes and remove from the pan. Remove wax paper. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Coconut-Pecan Frosting between layers and over top of cake.