Recipe by Chef Kathy
A luscious, decadent dessert! This is a family favorite that I make mostly at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mother-in-law taught me how to make this.
- 3 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 14 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, plus
- 18 whole pecan halves, reserved
- 3 unbaked regular pie crusts (not deep dish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend sugar, cocoa and salt together well. Set aside.
- In large bowl beat eggs with milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Blend in dry ingredients, then stir in coconut and chopped pecans.
- Place empty pie shells on baking sheets before filling. (This makes.
- it easier to transfer the filled pies to the oven.)
- Divide mixture evenly among the pie shells.
- Top with 6 pecan halves per pie.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until pie is set but not hard in center.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- These make great gifts at Christmas! Just wrap in foil and top with a festive bow.
- Pies can be frozen for later use. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil. Thaw at room temperature before serving.