Recipe by BlueHyacinth
I love German Chocolate Cake, but sometimes have cravings for pie, so this one does it for me. It's great with a dollap of whipped cream on top too!!!
- 4 ounces German chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring to mix well.
- Remove from the heat and gradually blend in milk; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in chocolate mixture.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Combine pecans and coconut; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375 degrees F.
- for 45-50 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Cool 4 hours.
- Chill (filling will become firm as it cools).