Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my adopted recipe. I haven't made it yet.
Make and share this German Chocolate Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Melt the margarine and set aside.
- Combine the sugar and baking cocoa in a bowl.
- Stir in the evaporated milk, eggs, melted butter or margarine, and vanilla, blending well.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans and turn into two unbaked pie shells.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until set around the edges.
- Cool on racks.
The recipe was easy to make although I would recommend using deep dish pie shells. The regular pie shells overflowed. Also, it didn't seem like it cooked completely - I even cooked the pies for an extra 10 minutes. I even stored them in the refrigerator. They were more of a pudding consistancy in the middle - VERY RICH. If you don't LOVE chocolate you probably won't want more than a bite or two.
I used only 12 ounces of evaporated milk and 3 large eggs with a little extra sprinkle of coconut on top and baked in deep dish pie crust. I was so pleased to find this recipe since the Reed Bakery in Pasadena Tx had closed. It was a wonderful bakery!
I cooked these pies for an extra 10 minutes and it was still runny. It didn't set at all. Terrible recipe. I'll be looking for another one.