Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hammett House Restaurant, Claremore, Oklahoma
- 1 graham cracker pie crust, refrigerated (large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate syrup, plus more for garnish (Fox's U-Bet brand is recommended)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Prebake graham cracker crust according to package directions; let cool.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt; whisk in the milk and egg yolks.
- place over medium heat; cook/whisk until the mixture starts to thicken and comes to a low boil, about 5-7 minutes.
- Continue to whisk and heat until quite thick, about 1 ½ minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, vanilla, and chocolate chips until the filling is uniform in color.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Pour filling into the cooled pie shell.
- Gently press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the filling, leaving no gaps or air pockets, to prevent a skin from forming.
- Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Shortly before ready to serve, make the topping: using a chilled bowl and chilled beaters, beat the cream with an electric mixer until it holds soft peaks.
- Add in the chocolate syrup and continue to beat until it is stiff but not grainy.
- Stir in the pecans and coconut.
- Smooth topping over the pie, mounding it in the center.
- Drizzle with additional chocolate syrup.
I use a regular pre baked pie crust. This pie is one of my favorite desserts of all time.