1/1 Photo of German Chocolate Layer Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting
A delicious German chocolate cake from scratch, with a coconut pecan frosting and filling. Recipe is from Diana Rattray's Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine. Pretty Easy to make.. tastes awesome.
My Private Note
layer c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces baker's German sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
coconut pecan frosting and filling
- 1Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper.
- 2Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 3Cream butter; add flour mixture, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened; beat at medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl from time to time.
- 4Add melted chocolate, eggs, and remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk. Beat 1 minute longer.
- 5Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6Cool in pans on rack for 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely on racks.
- 7In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugars, butter, and vanilla. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- 8Remove from heat (mixture might appear a bit curdled).
- 9Quickly stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the beaten egg yolks; return egg yolk mixture to the hot mixture in saucepan and blend well. Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to spreading consistency, beating occasionally.
- 11Here then i added me own little flair, it's perfect just the way it is, but this adds a little something extra. I chopped up some more pecans somewhat small and pressed them into the sides all the way around. Then i just topped it with some chocolate shavings. Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Chocolate Layer Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.6
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.3 mg
- Sodium 506.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 62.5 g
- Protein 8.8 g