Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious German chocolate cake from scratch, with a coconut pecan frosting and filling. Recipe is from Diana Rattray's Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine. Pretty Easy to make.. tastes awesome.
- 4 ounces baker's German sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
coconut pecan frosting and filling
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups baker's angel flake coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter; add flour mixture, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened; beat at medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl from time to time.
- Add melted chocolate, eggs, and remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk. Beat 1 minute longer.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on rack for 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely on racks.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugars, butter, and vanilla. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat (mixture might appear a bit curdled).
- Quickly stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the beaten egg yolks; return egg yolk mixture to the hot mixture in saucepan and blend well. Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to spreading consistency, beating occasionally.
- Here then i added me own little flair, it's perfect just the way it is, but this adds a little something extra. I chopped up some more pecans somewhat small and pressed them into the sides all the way around. Then i just topped it with some chocolate shavings. Enjoy.