Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found in the Washington Post who attributed it to cookbook author Sally Sampson's "Cookies". The dough can be frozen for up to two months. The cookies keep 5 days room temp in an airtight container (good for mailing!) & two weeks in the freezer after being baked (handy!). NOTE: To toast the pecans, spread them on a baking sheet and place in a 325-degree oven, shaking the sheet occasionally, for 15 minutes. Watch carefully; nuts burn quickly. *****these were one of the first gobbled up cookies on our Christmas trays! They are very dark & lumpy bumpy - suspicious looking in fact - but once tried were scooped up fast!******
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (shredded coconut fine too)
- 1 cup pecans, lightly toasted, then coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces German chocolate, coarsely chopped (Baker's)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer. Beat on low speed to start, then on medium speed until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg and then the vanilla extract, beating well between additions. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; then, on low speed, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; beat until everything is well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the coconut, pecans and chocolate, mixing until well combined.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoons onto the baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. (Alternatively, the dough can be rolled into a log, then cut into thin slices.) Bake one sheet at a time for 10 to 12 minutes, until the undersides of the cookies begin to firm up. The tops may still look shiny. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving or storing.