Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mom makes these and they are incredible. Very rich.
Make and share this German Chocolate Chess Squares recipe from Food.com.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the first 4 ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x9 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 cup powdered sugar; beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Gradually add in remaining powdered sugar; beat after each addition.
- Pour mixture over chocolate crust, spread evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack; cut into squares and serve.
Made these, but they didn't look very good. I followed the recipe exactly as printed, and a thin crispy layer formed on top, which is somewhat common in some brownies, however, in this case the layer browned before the inside was adequately cooked. All said, I had to cook for about 50 mins to get them done on the inside. I am at 6000 ft altitude, but have never had this problem baking other similar items. Although they didn't look pretty, they did taste good. I'm not sure that I was so impressed that I'd make them again, though. Also, German Chocolate Cake has coconut, and these probably could have used some to kick up the taste.