Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mom makes these and they are incredible. Very rich.
Make and share this German Chocolate Chess Squares recipe from Food.com.
- In a big mixing bowl, add the first 4 ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x9 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 cup powdered sugar; beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Gradually add in remaining powdered sugar; beat after each addition.
- Pour mixture over chocolate crust, spread evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack; cut into squares and serve.
Made these, but they didn't look very good. I followed the recipe exactly as printed, and a thin crispy layer formed on top, which is somewhat common in some brownies, however, in this case the layer browned before the inside was adequately cooked. All said, I had to cook for about 50 mins to get them done on the inside. I am at 6000 ft altitude, but have never had this problem baking other similar items. Although they didn't look pretty, they did taste good. I'm not sure that I was so impressed that I'd make them again, though. Also, German Chocolate Cake has coconut, and these probably could have used some to kick up the taste.