German Chocolate Cheesecake With Coconut Pecan Topping
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST: In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, and cocoa powder. Add egg, butter or margarine, and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer till well combined. With generously greased fingers, press the dough evenly onto the bottom of a greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or till lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING: In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream. Beat with an electric mixer till smooth. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Stir in melted chocolate. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. LOWER the temperature to 200°F and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or till the center no longer looks wet or shiny. Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the inside edge of the pan. Chill, uncovered, overnight.
- FOR THE COCONUT PECAN TOPPING: In a small saucepan melt the butter or margarine. Stir in sugar, evaporated milk, and egg yolk. Cook and stir over low heat about 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2/3 cup of the coconut, chopped pecans, and vanilla extract. Spread over the chilled cake. Garnish with remaining coconut, pecan halves, and chocolate curls. Chill till serving time. Makes 12 to 18 slices.
- Cheesecake Extraordinaire.