Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. If you like German Chocolate Cake and cheesecake, you might want to give this recipe a try. *Note: the prep/cook times do not include the overnight refrigeration required before the topping can be added.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 7 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
Coconut Pecan Topping
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- pecan halves (optional)
- chocolate curls (optional)
- Crust: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar and cocoa.
- Add egg, butter and vanilla.
- Beat with mixer till well combined.
- With well buttered fingers, press dough into the bottom of greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake crust at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Set crust aside to cool (in pan) while mixing filling.
- Filling: In large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar& sour cream.
- Beat with mixer till smooth.
- Add eggs and yolk one at a time.
- Beat well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Pour filling over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, lower temp to 200° and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until center is no longer shiny or wet looking.
- Remove cake from oven, and run a knife around the inside edge of pan.
- Chill cake uncovered overnight!
- Coconut Pecan Topping: Melt butter in small saucepan.
- Stir in sugar, evap milk and egg yolk.
- Cook and stir over low heat about 10 minutes or till thickened.
- Stir in 2/3 cup coconut, chopped pecans and vanilla.
- Spread topping over cake.
- Garnish: (optional) Garnish with 1/3 cup coconut, pecan halves and chocolate curls.
- Keep cake in refrigerator till time to serve.
To die for pretty much sums it up if you are a german chocolate fan. I've made this 3 times in last 2 weeks - lots of requests!!! No room for improvement as far as this family goes. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
This cheesecake is pure genius!!! german chocolate cake cheesecake= a bite of heaven... i made it for a Christmas get together and everyone begged me to bring another cheesecake for new years! i did one thing differently that made it taste sooo good! i lightly toasted the coconut... also i think i used a cheap brand of german chocolate, so next time im gonna try a nicer brand or maybe more of a milk chocolate.
My husband brought me german chocolate cheesecake from the bakery and it was very good so I decided find a good recipe for it and this is the one!Its delicious!If you try it you going to love it!