Cook1 hr 10 mins
For all you who, like me, love cheesecake but aren't that great at making it, this one is for us! A cake/cheesecake combination from Taste of Home with a most delicious frosting. (I recommend making this a day or two in advance, since the flavours are definitely better after the day it's made.)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed (or margarine)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed, just until combined.
- Pour half the cake batter into a greased 9x13 pan; gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top, spreading to edge of pan.
- Bake at 325F for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- FROSTING: Combine sugar, milk, butter, and egg yolks in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.