This cake is not for people watching their calories or fat!! But, boy is it good. The recipe came from the Kraft website, and from a recipe I found on the side of a bar of baking chocolate. I made this cake for my parent's birthdays and it was a big hit. Extremely rich, moist and decadent. For the birthdays, I splurged, and used 4 oz. of imported European dark chocolate that I got at Whole Foods, but the regular Bakers chocolate works wonderful as well. I, personally, am not a huge fan of coconut, but the people I made the cake for are. I used "light coconut" which has less fat and looks more finely shredded than regular shredded coconut. I also only used just about 2 cups instead of the full amount the recipe called for. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 (4 ounce) packagesweet dark chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (7 ounce) package shredded coconut (about 2-2/3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- Grease and flour the bottoms of 3 (9") round cake pans, and line with wax paper.
- Melt the chocolate and water in bowl over simmering water. (I don't have a double boiler!).
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into your batter.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean).
- Immediately run spatula between cakes and sides of pans.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans.
- Remove wax paper and cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting:.
- Place milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in large saucepan.
- Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Cool to room temperature and of spreading consistency.
- Spread the coconut-pecan between each of the layers, and then over top and sides of whole cake.