1/13 Photos of German Chocolate Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting
1 hr 10 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This cake is not for people watching their calories or fat!! But, boy is it good. The recipe came from the Kraft website, and from a recipe I found on the side of a bar of baking chocolate. I made this cake for my parent's birthdays and it was a big hit. Extremely rich, moist and decadent. For the birthdays, I splurged, and used 4 oz. of imported European dark chocolate that I got at Whole Foods, but the regular Bakers chocolate works wonderful as well. I, personally, am not a huge fan of coconut, but the people I made the cake for are. I used "light coconut" which has less fat and looks more finely shredded than regular shredded coconut. I also only used just about 2 cups instead of the full amount the recipe called for. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 ounce) package sweet dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Grease and flour the bottoms of 3 (9") round cake pans, and line with wax paper.
- 2Melt the chocolate and water in bowl over simmering water. (I don't have a double boiler!).
- 3Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- 4Sift flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- 5Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- 6Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Stir in chocolate and vanilla.
- 8Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 9Beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 10Fold into your batter.
- 11Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- 12Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean).
- 13Immediately run spatula between cakes and sides of pans.
- 14Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans.
- 15Remove wax paper and cool completely on wire racks.
- 16For the frosting:.
- 17Place milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in large saucepan.
- 18Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown.
- 19Remove from heat.
- 20Stir in coconut and pecans.
- 21Cool to room temperature and of spreading consistency.
- 22Spread the coconut-pecan between each of the layers, and then over top and sides of whole cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Chocolate Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 852.8
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 28.6 g
- Cholesterol 197.5 mg
- Sodium 514.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 67.2 g
- Protein 10.8 g