1/1 Photo of German Chocolate Cake Squares
1 hr 30 mins
I made this cake for my husband last night, who absolutely loves German Chocolate Cake. He said this is the best cake he has ever tasted! This recipe came from the November, 1997 issue of Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Cake
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 ounces Baker's German's chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting
- 1Make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- 3Bring water to a simmer in small saucepan.
- 4Reduce heat to low.
- 5Add chopped chocolate; whisk until smooth.
- 7Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
- 8Using elelctric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended.
- 9Beat in yolks one at a time.
- 10Beat in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- 11Beat in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
- 12Using clean, dry beaters, beat whites in another bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 13Fold into batter in 2 additions.
- 14Pour batter into prepared dish.
- 15Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- 16Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes.
- 17Cool cake in pan on rack.
- 18Make Frosting: Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy saucepan.
- 19Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture simmers, thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 18 minutes.
- 20Mix in coconut and pecans.
- 21Spread warm frosting over cake.
- 22Immediately sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips over.
- 23Let stand until frosting sets, about 2 hours.
- 24Cut cake into squares and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Chocolate Cake Squares
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 904.7
- Calories from Fat 484
- Total Fat 53.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.8 g
- Cholesterol 219.0 mg
- Sodium 222.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 76.7 g
- Protein 10.9 g