Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I never liked German Chocolate cake until I met my husband and got this recipe from my mother in law. It is soooo good! It's also horribly unhealthy for you but sometimes it's worth it to indulge! I always have to make it for my hubby's birthday and now my dad's birthday as well! As a note, this recipe is for the icing & we just buy a box of mix for the cake. Please note a few things: 1) Be sure to stir the mix every few seconds on the stove to avoid sticking 2) Be sure the mix comes to a strong, rolling boil to provide a smooth texture by reducing those sugar grains 3) This is a caramel type icing and won't adhere to the sides of the cake well 4) I usually premeasure the milk, coconut, & pecans to help things move along quickly. Enjoy!!
- 510.29 g boxbetty crocker German chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 78.07 ml oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 314.66 ml water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 236.59 ml butter (not margarine)
- 118.29 ml milk
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml flour
- 473.18 ml coconut
- 473.18 ml chopped pecans
- Bake cake according to package directions. I use 2 round pans to layer it.
- Cut the butter into pieces & set aside.
- In a saucepan, stir the flour and sugar over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter pieces & pour in the milk. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium low (usually 3 or 4 on my stove) & allow to come to a rolling boil. Remember to stir every few seconds or it will stick!
- Stir in the coconut & pecans.
- Mix well & remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool for only a minute or so before placing on the cake.