Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 (4 ounce) packagebaker German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk (12 oz. can)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups bakers angel flake coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line bottoms of 3 9-inch pans with waxed paper.
- Microwave chocolate and water in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Mix flour with baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Beat egg white until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently stir into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven, immediately run spatula between cake and sides of pans.
- Cool in pans 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans; peel off waxed paper.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Spread Coconut-Pecan Frosting between layers and over top of cake.
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting: Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, margarine or butter and vanilla in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and is golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups Bakers Angel Flake Coconut and chopped pecans.
- Beat until cool and of spreading consistency.
- Makes about 4 1/4 cups.