This is the perfect German Chocolate Cake
Make and share this German Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- spago chocolate cake (Spago's Chocolate Chiffon Cake)
Coconut Pecan Filling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 2⁄3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 2⁄3 cups chopped pecans
- dark chocolate, ganache-- sufficient to coat sides (Dark Chocolate Ganache)
- chopped pecans, sufficient to coat sides
- Filling: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook stirring for 1-2 minutes more.
- Let filling cool until spreadable.
- Will keep 1 week in refrigerator.
- Soften before using.
- Spread filling between cake layers and on top of cake.
- Ice sides with very soft ganache.
- Coat sides with pecans.
5 stars from the person whose birthday was the reason for this cake -- but in honesty I have to give it lower stars. The flavor, the moistness, everything lived up to expectations, but the recipe was very difficult to follow. There are problems I had with the cake recipe on my review there, but also the frosting seemed too sugary for my sweet tooth. I think the problem was that it moved past the thick stage into a watery stage again. I mean I think I let it boil just a little too long, but without another test for doneness it was hard to tell. I do recommend the recipe, and undoubtedly will be asked to do it again, because it was a hit!
Om nom nom!