Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the recipe on the box of German Chocolate. It is delicious and moist. You can make it in three layers like the traditional one, or in a 9x13 pan which is so easy. Then frost with Coconut-Pecan Frosting.
- Grease the bottom of 3 (9") pans or one 9x13 pan.
- In a microwave proof bowl melt the chocolate and water on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after each minute; stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer till light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir into batter and pour evenly into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pans.
- Frost with Coconut-Pecan Frosting.
This is just the recipe I was looking for. I made a German Chocolate cake for my hubby's birthday in August then I lost the recipe. This is the exact one I used. I am soooo happy. This is the best German Chocolate cake you will ever eat and be sure and make the frosting that Mimi recommends. You will love this cake. Thanks Mimi!!!!!!
This is the most delicious cake I have made in along time. It is super moist and DD loved it for Her Birthday cake.Thanks Sis!