Top Review by jovigirl35
This is just the recipe I was looking for. I made a German Chocolate cake for my hubby's birthday in August then I lost the recipe. This is the exact one I used. I am soooo happy. This is the best German Chocolate cake you will ever eat and be sure and make the frosting that Mimi recommends. You will love this cake. Thanks Mimi!!!!!!
- 1 (4 ounce) package German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the bottom of 3 (9") pans or one 9x13 pan.
- In a microwave proof bowl melt the chocolate and water on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after each minute; stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer till light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir into batter and pour evenly into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pans.
- Frost with Coconut-Pecan Frosting.