Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got from nikibone.com for tour 2005 Spread coconut pecan frosting between layers and over the top of cake. Coconut Pecan Frosting Coconut Pecan Frosting German Sweet Chocolate created by Samuel German (hence its name)is a dark baking chocolate Making it more convenient for bakers to have a chocolate where the sugar was already added to it. It is sweeter than semi-sweet chocolate and contains a blend of chocolate liquor, sugar, cocoa butter, flavorings, and lecithin.
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk, use the real thing this makes the cake
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottoms of three 9 inch round cake pans with wax paper.
- Microwave the chocolate and water in a large bowl on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway through heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks for.
- Do not over beat. Gently stir into batter. Do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Immediately run spatula between cakes and sides of pans. Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans; remove wax paper.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread coconut pecan frosting between layers and over the top of cake.
- TAKE NOTE- Substitution for 4 ounce of German sweet chocolate: - 4 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate plus 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar.
This is the second year I've made this cake for my husband's birthday and it is delicious! German chocolate cake is his favorite and it just doesn't get better then this one. The cake layers just turn out perfectly, and the recipe is easy to follow. Thanks for sharing! It is one of our family favorites.
I was looking for that 20 star rating!! Wowee, this turned out great!. My Mom used to make this for birthdays when I was young at everyone's request. I always thought it was so difficult and it really isn't at all. I can't believe I have waited so long to try it. It didn't really go with my current WW diet so I sent the leftovers home with my kids. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe which tastes exactly like my Mom's! Made for ZWT X-tra Hot Dishes.
OH MY GOD, MAKE THIS CAKE!!!! Its seriously amazing. I actually hate german chocolate cake normally but I wish i had made this cake for myself and not my boyfriends dad. It was absolutely fantastic. IN FACT, my boyfriend kept eating the frosting, despite the fact that he is allergic to pecans, until he literally passed out. He loved it until that point though. So definitely make this cake you will be pleasantly surprised no matter what... well unless you are allergic to pecans.