Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I went on a search for a German Chocolate Cake-like cookie that was made from scratch and not using a cake mix. I found this on cooksrecipes.com. Prep time is approximate and does not include cooling time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- For Cookies:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; mix well and set aside.
- Cream together brown sugar, shortening, water and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour mixture until just mixed and then add chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost cooled cookies.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine evaporated milk, sugar, butter and egg yolks in medium saucepan and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla, pecans and coconut.
- Allow to cool slightly and frost cooled cookies.
Had extra coconut pecan frosting left over from a tub but no cake mix. So I didn't use the frosting part of the recipe. This cookie worked perfectly! Yum. I pressed a hole in the middle when they came out and put the frosting in while still hot. It melted in and eating them warm was the best!
This was an excellent cookie. I shared these with several people who all adored them. It was very simple to make. We did put a LOT of the topping on the cookies so we could have used a bit more. Thanks for a great recipe!
Very unique cookie! I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.