Recipe by Barb G.
These mouthwatering bars taste just like German chocolate cake! A great change of pace from the standard brownie. The recipe comes from Betty Crocker. Chill time is 2 hours not included.
Top Review by French Lavender
I was so surprised by these bars. I needed two pans of bars for our church supper and I picked these as one of the two. When I was putting it together I wasn't too sure how it was going to work, much less look. I snitched a corner out (note to others...grease your corners well!), and these were very, very tasty! Thank you!
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1 container rich and creamy ready-to-spread coconut pecan frosting
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
- Cut butter into cake mix in medium bowl, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like crumbs.
- Press half of the mixture (2 1/2 cups) in the bottom of pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked layer.
- Drop frosting by tablespoonfuls over chocolate chips.
- Stir milk into remaining cake mixture.
- Drop by teaspoons onto frosting layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake portion is slightly dry to touch; cool completely.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- For 48 bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows.