Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These delicious brownies are laden with coconut and pecans on the inside and topped with a delicious German chocolate frosting. Absolutely yummy! From Family Circle.
- 498.95 g box brownie mix
- 1 large egg
- 59.14 ml water
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml coconut extract
- 118.29 ml sweetened flaked coconut, chopped
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter, cut up
- 141.74 g evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 236.59 ml sweetened flaked coconut
- 177.44 ml pecans, chopped
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- Brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9" pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the brownie mix, egg, water, oil and coconut extract in a large bowl.
- Mix just until blended.
- Stir in the 1/2 c coconut and 1/2 c pecans.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until done.
- Frosting: Combine 3/4 c sugar, butter, milk and egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring, until thickened (about 13-15 minutes).
- Add in the 1 c coconut, 3/4 c pecans and vanilla.
- Cook about 2 more minutes.
- When the brownies are done, pour on the warm topping and spread to the edges.
- Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- You can use the foil to life the brownies out of the pan to make slicing easier.
This recipe was amazing! I actually made 2 pans. One for home and one to take to our church youth group. I loved the frosting especially. These were a huge hit and can't wait to make them again for work! Sorry this review is also late. Peaches needed to get done - they refused to wait. lol Made for the September 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap. I will post pics later.
Absolutely phenomenal recipe. I'm eating my second piece as I type. I may be biased becaue German chocolate cake is my favorite cake. I don't like the really sweet icing on regular cakes, but I love coconut pecan icing. I have never made coconut pecan icing from scratch, but this was really easy to make. I used fat free evaporated milk and the icing turned out perfect. I'm going to have to take the rest of these bars to work tomorrow or I'll eat the whole pan myself. Thanks for the yummy recipe, Dreamgoddess.