Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was published in the July, 1980 issue of Family Circle magazine.
Make and share this German Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- flour, seasoned with
- butter or oil, for frying
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- Cut chicken into serving portions and coat with the seasoned flour.
- Slowly brown well all over in a mixture of butter and oil, remove from pan.
- Add the stock and bring to a boiling point, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Drain sauerkraut, rinse in cold water and drain again.
- Mix sauerkraut, potatoes, apples, onions and the sugar, spread over base of a shallow or oblong or oval ovenproof dish.
- Arrange chicken pieces over top, pour the stock over, sprinkle with caraway seeds and bake in a moderate oven about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender, basting occasionally with liquid in dish.
surprisingly better than i had originally imagined! i will make this again.