Recipe by Kitcharen
An easy, tangy, spicy, very filling casserole that fills your house with the great scent of good ethnic home cooking.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I haven't had ring bologna in ages, so this recipe got me craving it. I made half the recipe with the bologna and followed the directions. It was excellent, and thanks for the homemade bread suggestion. Truly a comfort meal and the leftovers were even better. This is a keeper Kitcharen! Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
- 3 large raw potatoes, halved and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 16 ounces sauerkraut
- 24 ounces Polish sausage or 32 ounces kielbasa or 32 ounces ring bologna or 32 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch, slanted chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large casserole dish with a lid, layer the ingredients in this order - 3 dabs of butter, potatoes, onions, sauerkraut, salt and pepper, sausage.
- You can half everything and make two "stacks" of layers as well, if you prefer. Make sure you end with sausage on top.
- Push ingredients down, if necessary, to compress and fit into your dish.
- Bake until the potatoes are tender - I usually go for an hour and fifteen minutes for perfect potato tenderness for my family.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
- This dish is wonderful with home-made bread.