Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Southern Living.
- 5 large eggs, separated
- salt (a big pinch)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 2⁄3 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 2⁄3 cups ground hazelnuts
- 2⁄3 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 5 -6 tablespoons hot water
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites and salt using an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup hot water at medium-high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 2/3 cup sugar; beat 3 minutes or until thick and pale.
- Stir the carrots and next 7 ingredients into the yolk mixture; fold in egg white mixture.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 50 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove sides of pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make Chocolate Glaze: combine sugar and cocoa; stir in water until spreading consistency.
- Spread top and sides of cake with Chocolate Glaze.
Made this tonight and it didn't turn out so well despite following all of the directions. I do not recommend it- if I were you, I'd go for a different recipe.