1 hr 30 mins
Feingold Mom's Note:
My son is allergic to chocolate and so I have perfected a carob cake that tastes just like a German Chocolate Cake. and I must say this is the best tasting GCC that I have EVER tasted! Every time I bake this it is gone within a day and the kids are asking for more. For faster decoration and preparation time, you can leave out the ganache and just use the filling for the "icing". I tend to do this a lot to save time. Just remember to have a thin layer running down the sides or the icing with collapse/fall to the bottom from all the nut weight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup carob powder (I use Chatfield brand)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup boiling water, with
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut or 2 2/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 2/3 cups chopped pecans (medium coarse)
- 1For cake: Put oven on to 350°. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together first five (dry) ingredients. Make well in bowl for wet ingredients.
- 3In a separate medium bowl, mix together oil, milk and eggs. Pour into the well in dry ingredients.
- 4As you begin to beat the batter, add the cup of hot coffee. Beat until well mixed then for two minutes on high.
- 5Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick placed in center comes out dry.
- 6Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool on racks until completely cooled. Finish by icing with Ganache and filling that follows:.
- 7FILLING: In a medium size saucepan, combine sugar, cream, egg yolks, butter and vanilla.
- 8Cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes until thickened, stirring continuously.
- 9Add coconut and chopped pecans and mix well to incorporate.
- 10Remove saucepan from heat and beat with a whisk until frosting is of spreading consistency.
- 11Place the first layer of cake on a large plate.
- 12Spread filling over and then place the second layer of cake on top.
- 13Again, spread over with filling and continue with the third layer.
- 14Complete spreading the filling over the entire layered caked until all filling is used.
- 15GANACHE: In a medium size saucepan, combine butter and cream and bring to a simmer on medium heat about 4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- 16Chop chocolate and place in a separate bowl.
- 17Pour hot butter/cream sauce over chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 18Spread ganache over cake and down the sides using a spatula or an icing spreader until all ganache is used.
- 19Sprinkle top and sides with chopped pecans.
- 20Place cake in refrigerator until ganache is set.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Carob "chocolate" Cake
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1305.1
- Calories from Fat 896
- Total Fat 99.6 g
- Saturated Fat 45.4 g
- Cholesterol 320.2 mg
- Sodium 565.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 77.1 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
carob chocolate bars