Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My son is allergic to chocolate and so I have perfected a carob cake that tastes just like a German Chocolate Cake. and I must say this is the best tasting GCC that I have EVER tasted! Every time I bake this it is gone within a day and the kids are asking for more. For faster decoration and preparation time, you can leave out the ganache and just use the filling for the "icing". I tend to do this a lot to save time. Just remember to have a thin layer running down the sides or the icing with collapse/fall to the bottom from all the nut weight.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup carob powder (I use Chatfield brand)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup boiling water, with
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2⁄3 cups sweetened flaked coconut or 2 2⁄3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 2⁄3 cups chopped pecans (medium coarse)
- 5 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 lb carob chocolate bar (or Sunspire carob chips)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, for sprinkle
- For cake: Put oven on to 350°. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together first five (dry) ingredients. Make well in bowl for wet ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together oil, milk and eggs. Pour into the well in dry ingredients.
- As you begin to beat the batter, add the cup of hot coffee. Beat until well mixed then for two minutes on high.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick placed in center comes out dry.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool on racks until completely cooled. Finish by icing with Ganache and filling that follows:.
- FILLING: In a medium size saucepan, combine sugar, cream, egg yolks, butter and vanilla.
- Cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes until thickened, stirring continuously.
- Add coconut and chopped pecans and mix well to incorporate.
- Remove saucepan from heat and beat with a whisk until frosting is of spreading consistency.
- Place the first layer of cake on a large plate.
- Spread filling over and then place the second layer of cake on top.
- Again, spread over with filling and continue with the third layer.
- Complete spreading the filling over the entire layered caked until all filling is used.
- GANACHE: In a medium size saucepan, combine butter and cream and bring to a simmer on medium heat about 4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Chop chocolate and place in a separate bowl.
- Pour hot butter/cream sauce over chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Spread ganache over cake and down the sides using a spatula or an icing spreader until all ganache is used.
- Sprinkle top and sides with chopped pecans.
- Place cake in refrigerator until ganache is set.