1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This homemade caraway cheese tastes good on homemade bread or Knackebrod or on crackers. Making farmhouse cheese takes about 24 hours, it is not labor-intensive and it yields a superior product. You will end up with a creamy white cheese with a tender curd and a fresh, tangy flavor. Mix it with cream for a creamed fine-curd cottage cheese or eat fresh, perhaps flavored with snipped fresh chives or lemon balm. You can find rennet tablets in the baking section of the grocery store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- dry-curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
FRESH FARMHOUSE CHEESE (use 8 cups)
- 1TO MAKE THE CARAWAY CHEESE: Make sure the farmhouse cheese is DRAINED WELL in cheesecloth.
- 2(Do not add any cream to the cheese after draining.) Place the butter, baking soda, and salt in the top of a DOUBLE BOILER over SIMMERING water.
- 3When the butter is melted, add the cheese, and continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until the cheese has melted, about 1 hour.
- 4The butter and cheese will be separated.
- 5Beat in the sour cream and caraway seeds until the mixture is blended well together.
- 6Pour into a large loaf pan or a crock.
- 7Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until the cheese is firm.
- 8Turn out onto a serving dish, if you like, bring to room temperature, and serve.
- 9TO MAKE FRESH FARMHOUSE CHEESE: Warm the whole milk and buttermilk over low heat in a large saucepan or stockpot until they reach 90 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- 10Pour 1/4 cup of this mixture into a glass measuring cup and heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds on high, or until it is 115 degrees; alternatively, heat the 1/4 cup milk in a small saucepan until it reaches the same temperature.
- 11Crumble the rennet tablet into the warm milk in the measuring cup and stir to blend.
- 12Pour this mixture back into the large saucepan and stir well.
- 13Remove from the heat, cover the pan, and let the mixture sit overnight, for at least 14 hours.
- 14In the morning, return the pan to the heat and remove its cover.
- 15For a larger curd cheese, bring the mixture to 130 or 140 degrees over medium heat; for a smaller curd cheese, bring the mixture to about 115 degrees over low heat.
- 16Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, at the desired temperature for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the curds have separated from the whey.
- 17Meanwhile, line two colanders with a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- 18Tie or clip the cheesecloths to the perimeters of the colanders to keep them from slipping inches Gently pure half of the mixture through 1 colander and half through the other.
- 19Let the whey drain off the cottage cheese for about 1 hour.
- 20Spoon the drained cheese into two 1-pint containers.
- 21Stir in some fresh cream, sour cream, or whole milk, if you like, for a softer consistency and flavor.
- 22The cheese will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 23Makes 8 cups.
- 24Home Cooking.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Caraway Cheese and Fresh Homemade Cheese: (appetizer)
Serving Size: 1 (568 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.3
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 107.1 mg
- Sodium 731.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: