Recipe by Teresa M
I love that this is quick & easy, and tastes so good. I first had this on Mother's Day. We had taken my mom out to dinner, and when we got back to her house she had made this for us (we both ate 2 pieces, it's that good). This is a good desert, but also travels well for pot lucks or bake sales, as it's kind of brownieish and has kind of a cheese cakish topping (lol, new words not in the dictionary).
Top Review by khatlady2343
This is a great cake! Easy and quick to put together and absolutely delicious! It freezes well and carries well so is great for make ahead dessert. Actually seems to improve with age. Certainly didn't last long enough to get stale and there are only 2 of us! Used the recipe exactly as it is and wouldn't change a thing.
- Pam cooking spray (or vegetable oil & flour)
- 2 cups coconut
- 2 cups whole pecans (a 6-oz. package)
- 18 1⁄4 ounces chocolate cake mix (batter, see directions below)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding (the regular size)
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar (3 to 3-1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix chocolate cake mix as according to package directions and set aside. Best done in a pourable bowl (one shaped like a large liquid measuring cup).
- Set aside.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with Pam cooking spray or cooking oil and lightly dust with flour.
- Line bottom of baking pan with whole pecans.
- Press down lightly with your hand (pecans should cover the whole bottom of the pan).
- Spread coconut over that and spread out evenly.
- Pour mixed chocolate cake mix batter over that (mix according to directions on box).
- In saucepan melt the butter, then add cream cheese, instant pudding and confectionary sugar.
- Mix well and heat just to boiling. If it's too thick to be pourable then add enough milk to it so that it is pourable.
- Drizzle cream cheese mixture over top of cake.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or until done.