1/7 Photos of German Cabbage Casserole - Kohl Und Hackfleisch
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
Cabbage and meat mildly seasoned with garlic and onions in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with breadcrumbs for a pretty presentation! A real comfort food. Even those who say they HATE cabbage will eat this and like it! I have even made this without the meat- using bulgur and veggie broth. Here is how: Just replace the meat with the same amount of bulgur- (for 1 lb of meat sub 1 cup bulgur) you will want to soak the bulgur according to the instructions on the package- if you bought it in bulk here is how... Bring 2 cups of veggie broth ( can use bouillon and water) per 1 cup bulgur When broth is boiling stir in bulgur. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until bulgur is soft. All the broth should be absorbed. Fluff the bulgur with a fork as you would rice and add to your recipe. I have used beef, pork, turkey and chicken with great results too. *See NOTE for freezing, make ahead and left over tips*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef, have all worked well or 1 lb ground pork or 1 cup bulgur (2.5 cups cooked, also known as cracked wheat) or 1 lb ground chicken, have all worked well
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced, more if desired
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1Brown meat, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink and onion has turned clear.
- 2Drain grease from pan and discard.
- 3Add cabbage and cover.
- 4Cook until cabbage is clear.
- 5Add cheese and sour cream mixing well.
- 6Pour all into greased casserole and top with bread crumbs.
- 7Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- 8*NOTE: to freeze- make ahead or re-heat left overs: compliments of Chef Marie Alice:* I froze half of this when I originally made it. This freezes excellently and if anything tastes even better after! I reheated it by melting a little butter in a skillet and then crumbling the partially thawed casserole into it, cooking and stirring until it was heated through.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Cabbage Casserole - Kohl Und Hackfleisch
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.1
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 101.6 mg
- Sodium 387.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 28.0 g