Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tender yeast cake with almond topping.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 1 (1/4 ounce) package cake yeast
- 2⁄3 cup tepid milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 14 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
CHOPPED ALMOND TOPPING
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup almonds, blanched and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Mix the yeast with the milk and 2 1/2 cups of the flour; let this sponge rise for two hours in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Add the remaining flour, the egg yolks, butter and sugar.
- Knead well for about 10 minutes, then let rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to fit a 20 by 16 inch jelly roll pan.
- Lay it in the well buttered pan, brush it with the beaten egg, sprinkle it with the almonds and coarse sugar and dot it with the butter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F.
- oven for 45 minutes, or until golden.
- To make one 20 by 16 inch cake Dorothee V.
- Hellermann Das Kochbuch Aus Hamburg.