Recipe by *Parsley*
A unique kind of soup. I have not tried this yet, but hope to soon.
Top Review by Nikoma
This is a fantastic soup! Used vegetable broth and 2% milk. And I did quarter the sprouts as Leggy Penny suggested. It was delicious, hearty, simple, quick and had a very "comfort food" feel to it. I'm sure I'll be making this again.
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed and cut in half (or 2 lbs frozen brussels sprouts, thawed and cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- salt, if needed, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter; add onion and carrot slices and cook and stir until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour and seasonings.
- Add chicken broth and cook and stir as you bring mixture to a boil. Stir in halved Brussels sprouts; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until Brussels sprouts are just tender, about 7 minutes (may be shorter if using frozen thawed sprouts).
- In a small bowl, beat together egg, milk and wine and stir into soup. Heat until soup returns to a boil.