Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posted in response to a request. I have not tried this, times are approximate.
Make and share this German Bread Dumplings (Semmelknodel ) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb day-old white bread, cut into 10 slices
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Break bread into small pieces; place in a medium bowl; Pour warm milk over bread.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet; Add onion; sauté until golden brown.
- Add sautéed onion, and remaining ingredients to bread mixture; blend well; mixture should be stiff; Add bread or milk to adjust consistency.
- Working with floured hands, form smooth paste into a roll about 2 1/2 inches in diameter; Cut roll into 8 pieces; form each piece into a dumpling.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; Add dumplings, one at a time, to boiling water, making sure they are not overcrowded; Do not cover; Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes.
- Dumplings are done when they float.
- Carefully remove dumplings with a slotted spoon; drain well.
- Serve immediately with roast meat and gravy or sauce and cooked kale; dumplings are excellent with roast goose or duck.
Thanks for posting this! I am from Bavaria and Semmelknoedel are my favorite kind of Knoedel! My mom made them exactly like this with one exeption, she never used nutmeg.
This is my family`s favorite,Semmelknoedel with Sauerkraut and Goulash.I think German Semmelknoedel version is with smoke ham chop into small pieces, fried them and add to the mixture.
After reading your review for crock-pot sauerbraten and because neither my husband nor I ever heard of Semmel Knodel, my husband being German, but of cores he said maybe he had it before and just did not remember. It was not as stiff as what I thought that it should have been it was very sticky. I just shaped them in to balls and dropped them into the water. It was only about three minutes and they were floating. I made them smaller then what you said about an inch and a half. We enjoyed these very much and I will be making these again