1/3 Photos of German Bread Dumplings (Semmelknodel )
Connie K's Note:
Posted in response to a request. I have not tried this, times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Break bread into small pieces; place in a medium bowl; Pour warm milk over bread.
- 2Heat oil in a medium skillet; Add onion; sauté until golden brown.
- 3Add sautéed onion, and remaining ingredients to bread mixture; blend well; mixture should be stiff; Add bread or milk to adjust consistency.
- 4Working with floured hands, form smooth paste into a roll about 2 1/2 inches in diameter; Cut roll into 8 pieces; form each piece into a dumpling.
- 5Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; Add dumplings, one at a time, to boiling water, making sure they are not overcrowded; Do not cover; Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes.
- 6Dumplings are done when they float.
- 7Carefully remove dumplings with a slotted spoon; drain well.
- 8Serve immediately with roast meat and gravy or sauce and cooked kale; dumplings are excellent with roast goose or duck.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Bread Dumplings (Semmelknodel )
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.0 mg
- Sodium 333.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g