Posted in response to a request. I have not tried this, times are approximate.
Make and share this German Bread Dumplings (Semmelknodel ) recipe from Food.com.
- Break bread into small pieces; place in a medium bowl; Pour warm milk over bread.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet; Add onion; sauté until golden brown.
- Add sautéed onion, and remaining ingredients to bread mixture; blend well; mixture should be stiff; Add bread or milk to adjust consistency.
- Working with floured hands, form smooth paste into a roll about 2 1/2 inches in diameter; Cut roll into 8 pieces; form each piece into a dumpling.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; Add dumplings, one at a time, to boiling water, making sure they are not overcrowded; Do not cover; Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes.
- Dumplings are done when they float.
- Carefully remove dumplings with a slotted spoon; drain well.
- Serve immediately with roast meat and gravy or sauce and cooked kale; dumplings are excellent with roast goose or duck.