Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The tangy mustard and brown sugar makes this quick and easy bratwurst recipe worth trying.
Make and share this German Bratwurst recipe from Food.com.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to paper towels, (save bacon for another use, then drain reserving 4 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- In the drippings, cook bratwurst for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Remove, and keep warm, and drain skillet.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch, and broth until smooth, set aside.
- Add mustard, brown sugar, wine, vinegar, and celery seed to skillet.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is hot, and bubbly.
- Gradually add cornstarch mixture, and bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return bratwurst to pan, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until glazed.
Made this for supper tonite. It was tasty & good for something different. I didn't have enough bacon drippings leftover, so I added a little canola oil. After thickening the sauce a bit, I put the brats in, covered the pan & simmered them in the sauce on medium-low for about 10 minutes. THANKS for sharing!!!
Prior to cooking in the bacon fat, I did boil the brats for a few minutes. I have found this helps to ensure that they are cooked through and they don't dry out. I allowed the brats to cook for a few minutes in the sauce and as the sauce thickened it really made a nice glaze. These were served with Simply German Potato Salad and Raw Vegan Red Cabbage Salad for a very satisfying meal. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.