Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 28 mins
As a child, I remember my mom making this cake time after time in our home. It was my father's favorite cake, so she made it often. It took me a while to find a duplicate recipe for the cake, since my mother passed away, and she had never wrote it down. I finally found one that matches it, and it is wonderful! It is even better the second day! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) betty crocker butter recipe cake mix (or your favorite yellow cake mix. Change the ingredients, measurements accordingly)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) boxjell-o vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans, tapping out the excess flour, and set aside.
- To make cake, beat cake mix, water, butter and eggs in a large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 pans.
- To make the topping, combine the pecans, 1 tablespoons of the sugar, and the cinnamon with a spoon, in a small bowl. Set aside. Wash and dry the beaters well to remove any traces of the cake batter. In a separate large bowl, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar gradually and beat until the meringue is glossy. Divide the meringue evenly, and spread it over the cake batter in each pan. Spread the pecan mixture evenly over the meringue in each pan.
- Bake the layers until a toothpick place in the center comes out clean, about 28-33 minutes. Let cool completely in the pans on wire racks.
- To make the filling, beat pudding and milk for 2 minutes. Pudding will set in 5 minutes. Chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the cake, invert the cake layers onto the wire racks and then immediately turn the layers right side up. Place one layer on a cake plate. Spread the pudding over it, then place the second layer on top. You will not be applying pudding mixture onto the top layer. Cover with plastic, refrigerate until ready to serve.