1/1 Photo of German Black Forest Cake
One of the best cakes. Easy to do. Chocolate sponge cake sprinkled with cherry liqueur and layered between each layer buttercream and cherries and Iced with whipping cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (divided)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fruit juice or 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1/2 cup cherry flavored liqueur (for sprinkling cake layers)
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar (approx.)
- 2 teaspoons strong coffee
- 3 -4 cups sour cherries, frozen & defrosted (pitted) or 3 -4 cups canned & drained cherries (remove pits)
- 1FOR THE CAKE: Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- 2Beat 3/4 cup sugar together with egg yolks.
- 3Sift together dry ingredients. Add to the egg yolk mixture ALTERNATELY with the fruit juice or water, orange peel and flavouring. Mix until blended and beat 1 minutes. Batter will be stiff. Put a large spoonful of egg whites into the batter and beat to make batter a little less stiffer and then FOLD in the rest of the egg whites gently.
- 4Pour batter into 2 (8 or 9-inch) layer cake pans (or use springform pans) (I like to put parchment paper on bottom of pan) and bake in preheated 350°F oven until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan and gently go round with knife and remove from pan and slice to make 4 layers.
- 5Sprinkle each layer of chocolate sponge cake with cherry liqueur.
- 6Blend the butter, icing sugar and coffee until creamy and spreadable. Spread 1/3 over bottom layer of cake. Press 1/3 cherries into this filling. Place another cake layer on top and repeat. Put fourth layer on top.
- 7Whip the cream. Add 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla. Slather whipped cream on top and sides of cake. Decorate with a few cherries add chocolate curls. Pipe rosettes around cake and add a cherry on top of each rosette and decorate in centre with chocolate curls.
- 8Edna Staebler--Recipes Only.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Black Forest Cake
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.7
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 157.6 mg
- Sodium 243.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 66.9 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cherry flavored liqueur