1/1 Photo of German Bierocks
German Bierocks are made by combining ground beef, chopped cabbage and lots of seasoning all baked in a bread dough. A very popular food at the Oktoberfest. You can use homemade bread dough or store bought. Original recipe from www.tasty-german-recipe.com -- I adjusted the ingredients a bit. Posted for ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small head of cabbage (shredded or chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup strong-flavored cheese, grated
- 2 lbs prepared bread dough (store bought or home made)
- 1 egg white (to put on dough before bakinig)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Brown the ground beef in a pan with the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage to the ground beef mixture.
- 2Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the cabbage is limp.
- 3Add grated cheese to your liking and set aside to cool until just warm. Taste and season again if necessary.
- 4Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- 5Separate the dough into 2 pieces and roll out each into a 12-inch circle.
- 6Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Using a spoon, put a small amount of the ground beef mixture filling into the centre. Bring the three points of each wedge up to the centre and pinch to seal.
- 7Place Bierocks on a lightly greased baking sheet. If you like, mix egg white and water and brush the tops of the bierocks with mixture.
- 8Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Bierocks
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.5
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.4 mg
- Sodium 336.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: