Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
German Bierocks are made by combining ground beef, chopped cabbage and lots of seasoning all baked in a bread dough. A very popular food at the Oktoberfest. You can use homemade bread dough or store bought. Original recipe from www.tasty-german-recipe.com -- I adjusted the ingredients a bit. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 small head of cabbage (shredded or chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup strong-flavored cheese, grated
- 2 lbs prepared bread dough (store bought or home made)
- 1 egg white (to put on dough before bakinig)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Brown the ground beef in a pan with the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage to the ground beef mixture.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the cabbage is limp.
- Add grated cheese to your liking and set aside to cool until just warm. Taste and season again if necessary.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Separate the dough into 2 pieces and roll out each into a 12-inch circle.
- Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Using a spoon, put a small amount of the ground beef mixture filling into the centre. Bring the three points of each wedge up to the centre and pinch to seal.
- Place Bierocks on a lightly greased baking sheet. If you like, mix egg white and water and brush the tops of the bierocks with mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Tasty and fairly easy to make. Used 4 cups of already shredded slaw mix (now think maybe 3 cups would have worked better) and a sharp Cheddar cheese. After I cut dough into wedges I used rolling pin to squish them down but wish I had flattened them even more so I had more area to put filling on. After dh and I sampled for lunch, I froze the rest for our next camping trip--they will be a great lunch for hike. Thank you FloridaNative for a great recipe. Made for Football Pool.