Recipe by Marlitt
This is a little time consuming but to die for. Very light. One of my grandmother's recipies. Makes an awesome coffee cake. My kids love it, when I make it I always have to make double because they just devour it. I have to hide the one for guests.
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese or 1⁄2 cup Quark
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup sliced blanched almond
- 3 tablespoons custard powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sure cottage cheese is well drained then push the cottage cheese through a sieve (or in blender).
- Blend in oil, sugar and salt (If mixture is in a blender turn it into a bowl.).
- Mix in 1 cup flour, baking powder, and add milk.
- Knead remaining flour into dough add a little more if necessary.
- Grease a 20cm (8-9") springform pan and spread evenly with dough.
- Melt butter, add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Add vanilla and milk, stir in almonds.
- Let topping cool.
- Spread on top of dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200 deg C or 400 deg F.
- Cool cake.
- Blend custard powder, 1/4 cup of the milk and sugar, stirring until custard powder is dissolved.
- Boil the remainder of the milk (3/4 cup), add to custard milk mixture stirring until thickened.
- Cream butter and add the custard bit by bit.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let chill in fridge.
- Cut the cooled cake horizontally (to make 2 layers).
- Spread chilled custard cream on bottom half of cake (cut side up).
- Replace the top layer, almonds on top.