Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from "Authentic German Home Style Recipes" by Gini Youngkrantz. Posted by request.
- Make sure you have washed the soup bones well and they have a nice amount of meat on them.
- Do not remove the skin from the onion, but wash it and pat dry.
- Cut a slit into one side of the onion and stick the bay leaf into the slit.
- Poke the whole cloves into the other side of the onion.
- Combine all ingredients except noodles in a huge stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Set a huge bowl underneath a colander and strain soup through colander.
- Save the meat and the carrots and discard the other boiling veggies.
- Dice the carrots and cut any meat chunks into bite sized pieces, discarding any chunks of fat and the bones.
- Set aside.
- Return the broth to the stockpot along with the noodles and simmer until the noodles are tender and cooked through.
- Return the carrots and the meat to the pot and season with a nice amount of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot.
HeatherFeather, this is a great soup base, could be used for any beef based soup. I used three lovely beef marrow bones, I had the butcher cut crosswise for me. I made it last night, strained it and put it in the frige overnight, it jelled beautifully, took the fat off the top and instead of noodles, I added some barley, more carrots, cabbage, some spinach and a can of red kidney beans. We really enjoyed the cloves taste! Wonderful whole dinner soup!!and lots left for a couple of lunches. (And Toby the dog is having a great time with the bones!!) Thanks for sharing a recipe we will use often.
We did not care for this too much, but I'm not sure it was the recipe's fault. I didn't like the taste of the meat off the bone at all and the whole dish seemed a little too greasy for me (which could again be because of the meat).
This is great. I love it as I can add anything to it or follow the recipe as written. I will always keep this handy b/c for flavor with very tasty. I also suggested this to a newlywed who is trying to impress he new DH with easy recipes (her meals consisted of frozen entrees). I felt this was something that would be easy for her to begin with. So thank you from the both of us.....Stephanie P.S. I have suggested to her to get a membership to zaar. hmmmmm maybe it would be a great shower gift to them....hmmmmm.