Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 hrs
Found this recipe online and thought that it sounded good. They suggest buttered noodles and red cabbage to serve with this.
- 3 lbs round steaks, 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons mustard (hot or mild)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, halved cross wise
- 2 large dill pickles, cut in strips
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- Wipe beef with a damp paper towel.
- Cut steak crosswise into 6 equal pieces.
- Flatten steak to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread each steak with 1/4 teaspoon mustard.
- Sprinkle onions on top.
- Place bacon and a pickle strip on narrow end of each piece.
- Roll up and tie with kitchen string; sprinkle with flour.
- Slowly heat in heavy Dutch oven or skillet with tight fitted lid, in hot oil.
- Brown roulades on all sides, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Place roulades on heated platter.
- Remove string.
- Make gravy from remaining broth; pour over meat.