1/2 Photos of German Beef Rouladens
3 hrs 30 mins
I have not yet made this recipe, submitted for ZWT 6. Overnight rest optional for a more flavorful meat. Cook time does not represent the overnight rest, and request mostly stove simmering.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut steaks into strips measuring 3 to 4 inches wide. On a floured surface, coat steak strips with flour. Using a meat mallet, pound meat until thin, approximately 1/8 inches (be careful not to pound holes in the meat).
- 2Season each steak strip with salt and pepper. Put a little chopped onion and 1/4 bacon slice onto the top of each steak strip. to make roulades, roll up (jelly-roll style) and tie well with butchers twine.
- 3In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add roulades and brown thoroughly on all sides. As each roulade is browned, remove from frying pan and transfer onto a large plate.
- 4When all roulades are browned and removed from the pan, add wine to the pan drippings and let simmer 1 minute (scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan into the wine).
- 5In a large heavy baking pot or Dutch oven, place roulades and cover with the wine mixture; add water to just cover the roulades. Simmer gently 2 hours or until tender.
- 6When done, remove from heat and let cool.
- 7Remove strings and place back into the liquid. At this point, refrigerate the roulades in the wine mixture overnight.
- 8When ready to serve, place the roulades, with the liquid, back on the stove. Using medium to medium low heat, gently reheat the roulades.
- 9Once heated and ready to serve, remove the roulades from the liquid and place on a large platter.
- 10Make the gravy: Add enough flour to thicken. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Remove gravy from heat and transfer into a large serving bowl.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Beef Rouladens
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.4
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 153.7 mg
- Sodium 304.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 51.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak