Recipe by mollypaul
This casserole may be made ahead of time and refrigerated. To reheat, bake at 350 degrees 20 to 30 minutes or microwave (in a microwave-safe casserole) on Medium High until heated through. From the National Barley Foods Council posted in response to a recipe request.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
We like this dish & the addition of pearl barley & bacon. I have to agree with other reviewers that you have to like the strong/unique flavour of caraway to fully appreciate this recipe. I cut mine back to 1 tsp of caraway & it wasn't overpowering for us but I'd get a pow of flavour on occasional bite. Next time I'll add the caraway seed 1/2 way through stove top simmering along with the cabbage (we like ours less crunchie) to see if the caraway flavour blends together more. We enjoyed this recipe, thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 -4 cups sliced green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Saute beef, onions, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour off grease.
- Add barley and bacon; sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice, salt and pepper and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and caraway seeds.
- Spoon mixture into 2-quart casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
- Makes 6 servings.